Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I'm your Mom, not your Maid

This past weekend was rough. We all visited the doctor over of the course of 4 days. We have never been on prescription medicine at the same time: double ear infections, bronchitis, influenza... they say it comes in threes right? With sickness comes irritation. No one feels well, no one wants to do anything but someone has to keep the house a float right?

I was picking up the living room that has been very neglected the past few days. In our house the living room is the room that collects the most random things. After I had finished cleaning and returning all the things I found to their appropriate place,  I watched my son eat a piece of candy and throw the wrapper on the table under our t.v. Really? At first I almost grabbed it to go throw it away out of irritation but then I stopped. I called him over to me and said "I'm your mom, not your maid." He looked at me confused. I told to him to go throw his wrapper away.  I explained that I had just cleaned the living room and that's not where is goes. He grabbed the wrapper and walked loudly into the kitchen sporting his 4 year old attitude.

This had me thinking: Do I include him in cleaning enough? Maybe he just assumes I would pick it up because it's what I have always done? Does he even notice all that I do to clean this house? I am known to just do it myself because it's faster and it will get done the way I want it done but it's time I let that go and delegate a little. How will my kids ever learn if I just always do it for them. Yes I make him help me pick up from time to time but he's old enough now to have a few chores on his own. I created a simple chores list for him. I included pictures because he can't read yet.

How do tackle chores with your kids? Do you have specific things they have to do daily/weekly? I would love to hear!


No comments :

Post a Comment