Sunday, March 6, 2016

Benjamin turns O N E

We Celebrated my sweet Benjamin's birthday this last weekend. Time really is a thief. I feel like we were just bringing him home yesterday. I wasn't blogging when he was born and I wanted to share a little of his birth story. We had both of our boys in the same birth center. The midwives are incredible. They care about you and your baby just as much as you do and I trusted them completely when it came to our birth.

It was a sunday morning, March 1st. I woke up about 8:30 am and laid in bed for a while longer. I had planned on making my grandma's carmel rolls that morning for breakfast. When I got out of bed, I felt my water break. I kinda giggled with excitement and yelled for Joe. He was a bit disappointed since he was looking forward to breakfast. HA! I called the midwives to let them know my water had broke but I wasn't having any contractions. I knew the routine this time around. It was a slow start. I hopped in the shower and finished packing my bag to take. I called my parents to come grab Oliver. The day dragged on. It was cold and windy and for several (8 plus) hours, I had zero contractions. I wasn't alarmed and I felt the baby moving and was completely comfortable. I bounced on the ball, went for a few walks and then I just decided to rest. Anyone that has had their water break first, knows the annoyance of the gushes that continue to happen. I actually ended up making the carmel rolls later on in the day. :)

Night time rolled around and my parents stopped by the house with Oliver. Everyone's idea of birth and how it should go is different and that is completely okay. I think my family thought it was so weird that we were just hanging out at home waiting for things to start. My plan was to labor at home as long as I could before we headed to the birth center. I called my midwife several times to check in throughout the day. I finally started having contractions about 8:00pm. I had downloaded an contraction timer on my phone which was super helpful in keeping track. My husband was able to get a little rest that night and around 1:30am, I let him know it was time to head over. We had about a 50 minute drive to the birth center.

We met our midwives around 2:30am and got settled into our room. Immediately things were starting to pick up and I was able to get in the tub. I labored most of the night in the water. Labor is such a beautiful thing. I was able to get in a zone and just allow it to happen. Yes it hurt but my mindset was just there. My husband was an amazing support to me.

Benjamin was born at 8:15 am (sleeping) like birth didn't faze him one bit. haha. He didn't cry. I got to see what he was first. We didn't know what we were having and that is just the best surprise. We got to love on our sweet boy, skin to skin, and he latched right away to nurse. He weighed 10 pounds 5 ounces and we were all shocked. Especially me.

Fast forward a year and Benjamin has brought so much joy to our family. He started walking about one week before his birthday. He says dada and mama, loves following his brother around, loves to play ball and his smile is just the best. I loved celebrating his birthday with friends and family and I knew I wanted to do a brunch theme. I just love brunch food. We had donuts, quiche, fresh fruit, granola and yogurt with berries, herb and cheddar potatoes and celebrated with mimosas :)

















 














No comments :

Post a Comment