Sunday, January 10, 2016

A New Year and A Blog



Isn't there just something so great about a new year? It allows us all to reset and hit the refresh button. This year I feel like I have a ton of goals. That's right I'm calling them goals, you want to know why? well here's a simple definition. Goal: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed. Isn't that awesome? I get to decide where I'm directing my effort this year. It won't happen overnight, heck it might take the whole year to achieve some of them but that's okay.

2015 was a great year. Isn't it funny how we remember memories in years? We remember so many monumental events based on the years. History is reflected in years. This last year, we moved our business to a bigger, better retail space in the downtown area. This was so exciting because we had achieved our original goal and that was to grow our business and we had outgrew our original space. ahem (throat clear) my HUSBAND grew our business. He is a one man shop and his knowledge in the bike industry is unmatched in this area. He is so knowledgable. I loving watching him work and interact with customers. But moving meant we had a much larger space to fill and new growth to look forward to. That move took a lot of efforts and we are thankful to our family and friends that helped us with it. I was 7 months pregnant and not a whole lot of help with the big stuff.

2 months after we reopened shop, our sweet Benjamin joined our family. Oh man all the feels of becoming a parent came rushing back this time though, we had a bit of experience and knowledge and it wasn't as scary or unknown as it was the first time around. As the saying goes March is "in like a lion" and we would agree. Benjamin came into the world weighing 10 pounds 5 ounces. Yep. I was just as shocked as the rest of you. And if you're wondering I delivered him, all natural, in a birth center with the help of my husband and our awesome midwives. God must have known that he needed to be big since he had a rowdy big brother waiting for him.

With the birth of our second came big changes for me. A new role I would say. I would no longer be working a full time managing position at the coffee shop that I had worked for 7 years. I would be staying home. For all of you stay at home moms, I APPAULD you because this is the hardest job that I have ever done. There isn't a handbook, there is zero training, and you have no co-workers. haha. I know that sounds so silly but it's the truth. I had to not only adjust to having a newborn at home but I had to adjust to being home with my toddler full time.

This past Summer was full of so many awesome memories. My husband took up a volunteer job doing Mountain Bike Patrol at Brundage Mountain in McCall, Idaho. This meant many Sundays and Mondays spent up in McCall and some of those we got to tag along and stay with our friends, whose grandparents own a family cabin up in McCall. We got to spend time on the lake and our 4 year old got to make new friends (we laugh and say he makes friends wherever we go) But that is a trait of character and I think it's awesome. This year our sons first time in t-ball. One of my best friends husband coached the team and even my husband helped out with a few games. It was a fun experience of "I'm too hot, spinning in center field, tears at bat, slow running, pushing each other down, and when can we have our snack" I was so proud of him for giving it his best though. We got to take a few road trips and got to see my moms side of the family and the beautiful Sisters, Oregon. So gorgeous. If you get a chance to go it's the cutest little towns surrounded by huge amounts of greenery and hundred year old pine trees.

Ending the year, my husbands family lost a great man, his grandfather, Papa Joe and my husbands namesake. He was a very accomplished man and I wish I could have known him in his younger years. He was a man of faith, family and extreme dedication to his career. His accomplishments in his life showed his character and integrity. The world was a better place having him in it and it definitely left his families hearts with sorrow of not having him here any longer but with much anxiousness to greet him in heaven one day again.

Isn't the circle of life a crazy thing. One chapter in our lives began this year with the birth of our son and one ended with the death of my husbands grandfather. It's beautiful and painful all in the same breath.



No comments :

Post a Comment